The Native American Totem Animals
Animal Totem's are an important symbolic object used by a person to get in touch with specific qualities found within an animal which the person needs, connects with, or feels a deep affinity toward.
You can have several animal guides through out your life. Sometimes an animal guide will come into your life for a short period of time, and then be replaced by another depending on the journey or direction you are headed toward. Your guide will instruct and protect you as you learn how to navigate through your spiritual and physical life. When you find an animal that speaks strongly to you or feel you must draw more deeply into your life, you might fill your environment with images of the animal to let the animal know it's welcome in your space. Animal guides can help you get back to your Earthly roots, and reconnect with nature by reminding you that we are all interconnected. To first do this you need to know what your Animal Totem is.
If You Don't Know
If you don't know what your Animal Totem is there are several questions you can ask yourself. All of the questions below are designed to get you thinking about a prominent animal in your life. There are no right or wrong answers. Only you can truly know which Animal Totem(s) are right for your journey.
- Since we are drawn to that which resonates with us, what animal, bird, or insect are you drawn to?
- When you go to the park, forest, or zoo what animal are you most interested in seeing?
- What animal do you most frequently see when you're out in nature or in the city?
- What animals are you currently interested in learning about?
- Which animal do you find most frightening or intriguing?
- Have you ever been bitten or attacked by an animal?
- Is there a recurring animal in your dreams or do you have one you have never forgotten?
If you are still uncertain which animal is your totem, here a few exercises you can do to come closer to the answer. You must not try to force the animal to come, it can pick up on that energy and be put off. Being patient and doing the following exercises will draw your animal totem to you.
- Ask yourself what animal has played a meaningful part in your world? If you're unsure, make a list of animals that have drawn your interest or have left a deep impression on you from paintings, photographs, stories, movies, carvings, etc.
- Which animal shows up in your life most frequently? Keep a journal of the animals present in your dreams or that you encounter through the day for the next month. How did the animal behave? Did you interact with the animal?
- Find a place where you can be alone to meditate. Sit quietly and ask your animal to make it's nature known to you. Feel free to use tools such as incense, smudge, and candles to help you.
- Don't give up, sometimes your animal totem is nearby watching to see if you're serious about connecting with it. Keep doing the above exercises until your animal totem makes itself known to you.
I'm so pleased with the overwhelming response to my web page and newsletters (over 1200 subscribers now). I love the fact that so many souls can find a bit of peace here. Unfortunately the traffic has used up the bandwidth (number of allowed page views per day) allowed on this server and I have bought monthly web space to place the Lady Hawke Site upon. Otherwise the Lady Hawke Site would shut down about halfway through the month. If anyone is in a position to donate even a dollar to this cause I would appreciate it.
Thank you so much,
Dee Redfeather Stewart
Background and select graphics were created by Sam Silverhawk
Web Design By Dee Redfeather Stewart, Copyright 2002-2005 All Rights Reserved.
Dee Redfeather Stewart Copyright 2002-2003, All Rights Reserved